Saturday, November 5, 2011

Biltmore Estate

When I saw Santa in the parking lot of the Biltmore, it didn't immediately occur to me what was happening.  Santa had a big tree on the back of his truck.


Santa's horses were magnificent creatures!  But, I don't ever agree with using animals for the entertainment of humans, or dragging around big, heavy carts.  That disclaimer being said, I'd imagine life on the Biltmore Estate is pretty awesome for these beauties!






It wasn't until I got up to the house and saw 100 million people waiting in front of it, that I realized they were there to see Santa bring a big tree into the house.  JUST MY LUCK to go on a day when Santa was there!  This, apparently, is a very big deal every year.  (Do these people know that Santa Claus isn't real?)






Best part of the architecture -- the Gargoyles!



A few photos of the rooms on the inside.  Each one had a Christmas tree in it (in addition to that aforementioned HUGE tree Santa was bringing in).





Beautiful furniture!



A tad garish for my taste!

In the Biltmore, there are two paintings by Renoir, "Young Algerian Girl" and "Child with an Orange."   It's worth a trip here just to see these masterpieces.


The grounds around the estate are spectacular!
(Again, worth the trip just to see them.)





Lots of statues! 




Wow!  What a view!

This is the amazing greenhouse.  The plants in here
are beyond beautiful -- like nothing I have ever seen!










This cactus looks like Cousin Itt! 
It was a little creepy and kooky!







The most amazing orchids!


The vast gardens at the Biltmore Estate are meticulously manicured and cared for.  You could spend an entire day just walking around the beautiful grounds.









Japanese Maple







I think the rose garden is prettier in the spring and summer.  But, there were still a lot of buds and flowers on the rose bushes.  There are a wide variety of colors.










I caught a little bee mid-air